Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New NAS user: Synology vs. QNAP

Hi there!
I want to set up a NAS at home. Uses will include storage of family files, photos and misc. documents + Plex server. I'm not much of an IT tinkerer, but am interested in it.
I've watched several of your videos (Thanks!). QNAP seems to have better overall HW, Synology has the SW and UI advantage. Normally, I would go QNAP and brave the SW shortfall, but I'm nervous about any data security issues. I know that QNAP has a history of cyber attacks.

1. In your professional opinion, are there steps that can be taken to effectively mitigate data security concerns of QNAP devices?
2. Has QNAP improved on its cybersecurity at all in 2023 (most of the news about cyberattacks was at the beginning of '23)?
3. If I decide to go Synology, I'd like the iGPU of the intel chips for Plex streaming and therefore am debating between the 423+ and 920+. Am I better off going with the 423+ given that its a newer model and may last longer?

Thanks so much - love your content!

Will
Thanks for reaching out, and I'm glad you enjoy the content! Setting up a NAS is a smart move for family storage and a Plex server.

Regarding your concerns, here's the scoop:

For QNAP, yes, there are steps to enhance security. Regularly update firmware, enable two-factor authentication, and avoid using default ports—simple precautions go a long way.

Cybersecurity is an ongoing concern for any tech, but QNAP has been proactive in addressing vulnerabilities. Keep an eye on recent firmware updates and release notes for enhanced security measures.

If Synology is your lean, the DS920+ is a solid choice for Plex streaming with its Intel chip. While the DS423+ is newer, the DS920+ has a powerful iGPU, making it a reliable option for your needs.