Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Recommendations

Hi Team,
Hoping to get some advice/recommendations for my first NAS purchase.

My use-case will be mainly storing media (movies, tv shows, music). I'm currently using an assortment of external hard drives to store my data and copy locally whenever I need access to a file.

I would like to be able to access the files via my Macbook, PC and Android TV box via VLC.
A nice to have is also to set up a Jellyfin server for media access.

I've already bought two HDDs in anticipation of setting up a NAS which is the 'WD Red Pro 18TB' so compatibility will be needed.

The first option that I have seen is the Synology DS224+ but after some digging on your website/youtube I saw the Ds720+ as also a potential option, would appreciate your steer on pros/cons and future proofing (as much as possible)

Also open to QNAP if you feel it's a better option for me.

Any recommendation would be appreciated
Totally get the need for a NAS upgrade. With your media-centric use case and those WD Red Pro 18TB drives, you're on the right track.

For Synology, the DS720+ is a solid choice, offering great performance and features. It can handle your media needs and support Jellyfin. The DS224+ is cool too, but the DS720+ has a bit more power under the hood.

Now, if you're open to QNAP, the TS-253D is worth a look. It's got good specs and can match your storage requirements.

Considering your budget of $300-$450, both the DS720+ and TS-253D fall within that range. Future-proofing wise, the DS720+ might have a slight edge with its better hardware.