Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Building my first NAS

A freelance developer working from home. Now doing manual backups of:
1. Work and important files to cloud.
2. Full PC backup (compressed) to external SSD every 2 months.

Other files and media: stored in multiple 2.5" external HDDs.

Current media server: using router's USB sharing (DLNA) with 1TB SSD.
My work PC has 4TB SSD and 64GB RAM; on 2.5GbE LAN. Using TPLink Deco BE85. The Deco and PC are in my bedroom.

Undecided whether I should build a Synology NAS. Looking at DS1522+ with 10GbE upgrade. Storage pools: 1 HDD + 1 a SSD.

The NAS will be in my bedroom, serving as: backup repository for work PC, as media and file server. Concerned over potential noise at night, disturbing sleep.

Undecided over HDDs: Seagate Ironwolf (downside: warranty starts from manufactured date, difficult customer service) vs WD Red (WDDA flagging drives as Warning after 3 years) vs Synology.
Hey! Building your first NAS is a smart move for a freelance developer. Considering your requirements and concerns, the Synology DS1522+ with a 10GbE upgrade sounds like a solid choice. It's versatile enough to serve as a backup repository for your powerful work PC and a reliable media and file server.

For addressing the noise concern, placing the NAS in your bedroom, I'd recommend checking out the noise levels of the specific hard drives you choose. Both Seagate Ironwolf and WD Red are reputable choices, but noise levels can vary between models. Consider looking for drives designed with noise reduction features if a quiet environment is crucial.