Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

help needed

Hi I am just in the process of renovating my house and decided to install a home network / media server. So far I have started wiring the house with Cat 6A F/FTP solid core cable which I've been told it's over kill but picked it up cheap so not really bothered. Also picked up a QNAP TS-673A nas about 8 months ago at auction brand new in the box for £640 Smile without doing any research and then on black friday I bought 4 wd red pro 16tb hard drives. Thing is I've actually started doing some research now (I know its a bit late now) but really starting to feel really out of my depth now and worry that it might not be suitable for what I want which is backing up files and pictures but mainly for 4k movies and possibly cctv. I also wonder if I need more ram or I should buy a 10gb network card or if i need to buy a gpu card. I'm really at loss Huh and could really use some good advice! 
Thanks Matt
Hey Matt! First off, kudos on the home renovation and snagging that QNAP TS-673A and WD Red Pro drives at a great deal. Your setup has tremendous potential for your needs. For 4K movies and file backups, the NAS and WD Red Pro combo is solid. The 10GB network card could enhance your data transfer speeds, especially when dealing with large media files, making streaming a breeze. As for RAM, the TS-673A comes with 8GB, but upgrading to 16GB wouldn't hurt, particularly if you plan on running multiple applications simultaneously or handling virtualization.

For CCTV, it depends on the scale of your surveillance setup. If it's a few cameras, your NAS should handle it fine. If you're thinking of expanding, you might want to look into dedicated NVR solutions. As for a GPU, it's not crucial for your current needs unless you're planning on heavy graphics-related tasks.
(12-04-2023, 01:44 PM)ed Wrote: Hey Matt! First off, kudos on the home renovation and snagging that QNAP TS-673A and WD Red Pro drives at a great deal. Your setup has tremendous potential for your needs. For 4K movies and file backups, the NAS and WD Red Pro combo is solid. The 10GB network card could enhance your data transfer speeds, especially when dealing with large media files, making streaming a breeze. As for RAM, the TS-673A comes with 8GB, but upgrading to 16GB wouldn't hurt, particularly if you plan on running multiple applications simultaneously or handling virtualization.

For CCTV, it depends on the scale of your surveillance setup. If it's a few cameras, your NAS should handle it fine. If you're thinking of expanding, you might want to look into dedicated NVR solutions. As for a GPU, it's not crucial for your current needs unless you're planning on heavy graphics-related tasks.

Thanks Ed 
Are there any 10gb network cards in particular I should look at ?could you recommend one?
also you say too consider upgrading the ram to 16gb should this be eec ram? and would i be best using normal raid or zfs   Huh Confused