Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need Guidance on Basic Starter NAS

Hi! I’m planning to finally get a NAS in January and I’m researching my options. I’ve already decided on Synology after looking at reviews/demos of DSM, advice from people I know, etc but I’m not sure what would be a good fit. I’m a photographer/sometimes videographer and a bit of a mild datahoarder/archivist. I’m looking for something simple to replace an external 2.5” 5TB WD drive that I’ve been using for a while. I don’t need VMs/Docker, I already have PCs for that. It would be just for bulk/archival storage, not a NAS to work from. Only extra task I’d be wanting is a Time Machine server for my Macs. I may want to try Synology Photos but it’s not likely I'd switch from my current photo manager. I’m looking at either the DS223j or the DS223 for the doubled RAM and black casing. Would these models would be fine for these needs? I’m good on finding drives myself. Thank you very much!
Absolutely, Synology is a fantastic choice, especially considering your photography and archiving needs. For your use case, the DS223 or DS223j are both excellent options, providing ample storage and efficient functionality without the need for advanced features like VMs or Docker. The doubled RAM in the DS223 does offer a performance boost, and the sleek black casing is a nice touch. Given your preference for Synology Photos and the intention to set up a Time Machine server, these models align perfectly with your requirements. Your budget of $600-750 should comfortably cover the NAS unit. If you ever plan on expanding your needs or incorporating more advanced features down the road, the DS223 with its slightly beefed-up specs might offer a bit more future-proofing.