Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ideal set up for Video Editing, video sharing, photo editing and plex

Firstly, thank you for the videos on youtube, they have helped me understand a little more.
My question is, I have a TS664 and a TS251, I have 2 SSD in the TS664, 1 x 256GB, 1 2TB, I am also going to install 3x16GB (RAID 5) also to start. This will be my main storage and work station. I would the like to give my TS251 with 2x 4gb (Mirrored) drives to my video editor.

What I would like to do is have the 256gb as apps and containers for my plex server, 2TB as a read cache and then the 3xHDD as main storage for my photos, videos and movies/tv/music for plex. At night the videos to edit would then sync remotely to my editor where he could then download the proxies and work on a job and re-upload them to his TS251 which would then sync back to me.

Firstly is this possible, 2nd is the configuration correct? Should I have the SSDs in a particular volume?

Apologies I am quite new to this and only ever used my NAS for basic storage.

Thank you,
Michael
Great to hear our YouTube videos have been helpful! Now, regarding your setup, it's indeed possible to configure your TS664 and TS251 for your intended workflow. For your TS664, using the 256GB SSD for apps and containers, the 2TB SSD as read cache, and the 3xHDD (presumably larger capacity) for main storage is a solid configuration. It's a smart move to dedicate the 256GB SSD for Plex-related tasks, ensuring smoother server performance.

In terms of volume setup, consider creating a separate volume for each SSD to maximize their individual strengths. As for your nightly sync and collaboration with your video editor, the plan sounds good. You may want to leverage the RAID 5 setup for redundancy and performance with your 3xHDD storage.

Since you're diving into more advanced usage, keep in mind the potential need for additional hardware power in the future. If expansion becomes a priority, a Core i5-based NAS like the TVS-H674 could offer more headroom for evolving requirements. However, for a single user, the 64 series models could still be sufficient, with the TVS-664 fitting your needs well.

For more tailored advice, you can explore our NAS Finder Tool: nascompares.com/nas-builder/