Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can I move my Nas drives to an Expansion unit

Hi there,

I have a Qnap TS-673A full with 8tb Ironwolf pros in raid5 and I've ran out of space.

I was going to buy a TL-D800c and start by populating it with 3 x Toshiba n300 16tb's in raid5 and add one drive at a time when I needed/could afford them until I filled it.

Ideally I'd like to populate my TS-673A with 16tb drives and have the 8tb ironwolfs in the TL-D800c. But don't have available storage to back it up before moving everything around.

Could I move my 6 x 8tb ironwolfs from my Nas and put them into the TL-D800c and the Nas still recognise them and their raid? As if so I could leave them there and populate the Nas with 16tbs. I know you could do this with two compatible Nas's, but cannot find any info on expansion units.

Many thanks

Yasha

Absolutely, Yasha! It's a good strategy to gradually upgrade your storage. However, keep in mind that the drives in your TS-673A have the operating system data, so a direct move to the TL-D800c might not be straightforward. To make this transition, consider replacing one drive at a time in your current RAID with the new 16TB drives. Once all the drives are upgraded and the RAID is rebuilt, you can safely move and wipe the old 8TB drives into the TL-D800c as additional storage. This way, you ensure a smooth transition without compromising your data integrity.