Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First Nas

Hello,
**Requirements**
Currently dont have more than 2tb of data.

Automatically backup two Macbooks, (maybe utlising Apples Time Machine... but not essential)
Storing my photography images as external storage, I use

Lightroom to manage my catalog so I dont need any photo manager, just the ability to access on demand if I need to edit them.

**Thoughts so far**
After reading/watching reviews I understand a 4 bay would make logical sense for upgradability, BUT I dont think I can stretch to that budget at the moment, unless sales are kind. So I have been looking at the Synology DS223 or DS224+ and then to house either two 4tb or 6tb hdds to then use either RAID 0 or SHR, (I think SHR would allow me to buy a 4 bay in future, mix the old drives with some new ones and carry one)

For my rather simple usage, do I even need to look as far as a 224+ or would something like a DS223j be enough even with its meagre proccesing power?

Any advice / ideas welcomed.
Absolutely, considering your current data needs, the DS224+ would be a great fit, especially with its Intel Celeron processor. The processing power will be beneficial for your Lightroom catalog and the overall performance of the NAS. Going for the DS224+ also opens up the possibility of future expansion, as you rightly mentioned. The ability to migrate to a larger NAS seamlessly and the option to use a USB 5GbE dongle for faster data transfer make it a solid choice within your budget range. It provides a good balance between performance and future scalability. For the latest deals, you might want to check out the Black Friday offers here: https://amzn.to/3QRCZyL.