Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plex-Windows/TrueNas

Hi ...I'm recently new to servers and Plex ..I have a spare pc which has a i7-3770k GTX 970 and 32GiB RAM with 2 1TB HDDs and 2 250 GiB SSDs

I'm curious to know if the specs are good enough for some sort of system?
I'm looking to create a Plex or jellyfin system which I can use for a home cinema ..movies TV shows etc.

I know windows ok but windows server is new to me and True Nas is also new to me .... where should I start ? There's so many videos on unraid/truenass/windows etc it's hard to make the right move

Also I do know the i7-3770k and the mobo doesn't support ECC memory.....I think ?

Hopefully I've given enough info
Kind regards Stephen
Great to hear about your interest in setting up a Plex or Jellyfin system. Your spare PC with an i7-3770k, GTX 970, 32GB RAM, 2x 1TB HDDs, and 2x 250GB SSDs is indeed a solid foundation for a home cinema server. Since your hardware doesn't support ECC memory, you're correct. It's a good idea to start with what you're familiar with. For a Windows environment, you can use Windows 10 or Windows Server; both work well for Plex.

On the other hand, if you're curious about TrueNAS, it's a robust option but has a steeper learning curve. It's more focused on storage and data management, which might be overkill for a Plex server unless you have advanced storage needs.

Considering your setup and familiarity, I'd suggest starting with Windows, given your prior knowledge. You can always explore TrueNAS or other options later if your needs evolve. There are plenty of guides online for setting up Plex on Windows. Dive in, and feel free to reach out if you have more questions. And hey, if you're on the lookout for Black Friday deals, check this page for some awesome discounts: https://amzn.to/3QRCZyL.

Happy streaming!