Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TERRAMASTER F4-423 two M2 slots

Hi, I enjoy the videos that you are putting out. I am new to NAS. I bought the TERRAMASTER F4-423 on Amazon prime day with WD Red 16TB drives. I bought this memory to add
Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C4X9VR5

What are the best M2 drives do you recommend?
Should I fill both M2 slots?
Should the M2 drive have heatsinks on them?

I asked TerraMaster but they said to look at the compatibility list, but that list is very old and the models that say to buy are not even around anymore

Thanks
Robert

Thank you for reaching out, and I'm glad to assist you in selecting M.2 drives for your TERRAMASTER F4-423 NAS. Considering your Crucial RAM 32GB Kit and the WD Red 16TB drives, let's focus on M.2 drives with suitable endurance ratings for caching purposes.

Here are some recommended M.2 NVMe SSDs along with their DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day) values:

Samsung 970 Pro - 0.66 DWPD
Seagate FireCuda 510 - 0.7 DWPD
Seagate FireCuda 520 - 0.9 DWPD
Seagate IronWolf 525 - 0.7 DWPD
Seagate FireCuda 530 - 0.7 DWPD
Synology SNV3400 - 0.68 DWPD
WD Red SN700 - 1.0 DWPD
These drives offer a good balance between performance and endurance, making them suitable for the caching demands of your NAS. Filling both M.2 slots can maximize your system's speed and responsiveness, particularly during read and write operations.

While heatsinks on M.2 drives are not mandatory, they can aid in temperature management. Considering the potential benefits, especially if your NAS use is intensive or in a warmer environment, you may opt for M.2 drives with built-in heatsinks.

Before making a purchase, ensure that the selected M.2 drives are compatible with your TERRAMASTER F4-423 NAS. While the manufacturer's compatibility list is a helpful starting point, checking user reviews and forums for real-world experiences can provide valuable insights.