Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Video Files Name Structure for NAS/PLEX

I live by the first rule of computers...Garbage In, Garbage Out. I'm just setting up my DS-1522+ NAS with 5 x 10 TB. 95% of my data are Video .mp4 or Photo .jpg files.
I'm currently revising the file name structure for folders and files. Example :
African Queen (1951){imdb-tt0043265}
You have spent a great deal of time on PLEX. There are other creators doing some video time on file structure, but you folks are the PLEX subject matter experts (although the others don't talk as fast). Ever consider doing a video on all our Garbage In? NAS Volumes, Drives, Folders, so that PLEX can read and process order and metadata for our collections. Not just movies but TV as well. Filebot.exe is an example but maybe you have more. Jellyfin and Emby would also be of interest to your audience. Thanks alot, you are top subscription in my list..Others I can watch one or twice, but I have to loop yours for a few days to absorb all the data you impart in just one video!
Hi Paul,

Thank you for reaching out, and I'm thrilled to hear that you're setting up your DS-1522+ NAS for your extensive media collection. Your commitment to organizing your files aligns perfectly with the first rule of computers – Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Considering your interest in optimizing your NAS for Plex, I'd like to address your query about naming and organizing files. Plex indeed operates at its best when major content types are separated. Your idea of a video guide on this topic is excellent, and we'll certainly take it into consideration for future content. It would be comprehensive, covering NAS volumes, drives, folders, and file structures for Plex, Jellyfin, and Emby users.

For now, based on your NAS setup, here are some key takeaways for naming and organizing your media:

General Structure:
Separation: Keep movies and TV shows in separate main directories, like /Movies and /TV Shows.
Folder Structure: Consider placing each movie in its own folder for efficient scanning.
Movie Files:
Naming: Utilize the format MovieName (release year).ext for standalone files or nested folders.
Editions: Plex Pass subscribers can specify different editions using {edition-[Edition Name]} in curly braces.
ID Inclusion: Include IMDb or TheMovieDB ID for precise matching with {[source]-[id]}.
TV Show Files:
Folder for Library: Specify the folder containing individual show folders as the source for TV libraries.
Naming Conventions: Use season and episode notation (sXXeXX) for season-based shows.
Date-Based Shows: Follow the format ShowName – YYYY-MM-DD – Optional_Info.ext.
I hope these guidelines enhance your media organization. Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or if there's anything specific you'd like assistance with during your setup.