Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which hard drives

I have decided to buy a Synology 423+ NAS. At the moment I have a Synology 413J with 4 WD red 3TB hdd’s. The Diskstation has been turned on 24/7 for the last 10 years with the original Hdd’s, so I trust WDReds. Now it has come to my attention that the new WD Red plus hdd’s show a warning in the Synology diskstations. I have also watched your video on the subject. It’s also mentioned that the firmware is not updated. It seems that Synology only want there own drives fitted into there devices. WD Reds have been around for a long time and have -roved there worth. Does it matter about updating the firmware on the drives, and are people still putting WD reds in there diskstations or are people being more or less forced into buying Synology hdd’s. Can you give me your opinion. I’m not really sure if this problem still exists or is it something most people can live with. As an example my WD reds have never had the firmware updated, but maybe it’s more important with the newer drives.
Absolutely, the WD Red drives have a solid reputation, and many users continue to use them in Synology NAS devices, including the DS423+. The warning you mentioned usually appears if you use drives that are not on Synology's compatibility list. You can check the compatibility list here to ensure compatibility with your DS423+. As of now, there's no indication that Synology will stop supporting these drives for existing models. So, you can confidently use WD Red drives for your NAS, and they should serve you well for your home storage needs, offering reliability and performance within your budget of €400 for a 20TB setup.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibi...rand=other