Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for 10-bit 4K UHD video production

I am searching for a media storage solution with redundant backup/recovery for critical video files. That, at the same time, enables me to edit 10-bit 4K UHD video (Encoded in Apple ProRes 422 at 30 frames per second. Depending on the event or assignment, the resulting files can be as much as 350GB or more. Sharing projects for approval is also a must. Currently, I am using OneDrive by uploading the file, but it has limitations.

I must keep the original digital negative for potential use in the future. I use a Mac mini M1 with 10GB Ethernet.

I only recently learned about NAS devices and this website and did a deep dive. I looked at Synology, QNAP, and TerraMaster. The Terra Master T9-450 seems to fit the bill. With 2024 just around the corner, would you still recommend a NAS device for editing video and storage? How does the T9-450 compare?
Absolutely, the TerraMaster T9-450 is a viable option for your requirements, especially considering its cost-effectiveness. However, for robust 10-bit 4K UHD video editing and storage with redundant backup, many in the video editing community often lean towards the Synology Plus series or QNAP 74 series. Specifically, the Synology DS1821+ or the QNAP TVS-h674, equipped with a 10GbE card, could be excellent choices. These NAS solutions provide the performance and features needed for seamless video editing, and their established reputation in the industry speaks for their reliability. Given your budget of $2000-$3000 and the nature of your home-based media business, investing in a more powerful NAS like the mentioned Synology or QNAP models could ensure a smoother editing workflow and future-proof your setup for upcoming projects. Check out the NAS Finder tool for more tailored suggestions: NAS Finder Tool
https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/
Happy editing!