Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What to buy?

I believe I have decided to stick to synology since they are highly rated and seem to work seemlessly with their apps and hardware. I have a wired home network with 4 computers on it. We have 5 phones and two remote PC's. All I really want to do is automatically backup the data on each of these devices (photos, documents, and home movies). DS224+ or a 4 Bay? After initial data input, use will be small. What do you suggest? 2 Bays seems simple, everything backed up to one of the drives and the second drive copies the first for redundancy...?
Great choice on sticking with Synology! For your setup with a wired home network and a mix of computers and mobile devices, both the DS224+ and a 4-bay option would work well. If you opt for the DS224+, its 2-bay configuration is straightforward for automatic backups, with one drive mirroring the other for redundancy. However, considering your potential future needs, going for a 4-bay NAS with 3 drives initially would be a smart move. This not only provides room for expanding storage but also offers more flexibility in terms of RAID configurations. As your usage grows, having the extra bays allows you to easily scale up your storage capacity without replacing the whole unit. Feel free to check out the NAS Finder tool for more tailored suggestions: https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/