Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS224+ or DS720+

I’m on the fence at the moment, I don’t know whether to buy the new DS 224+ or buy the DS720+. The DS 720 comes with a lot more expansion capabilities 2 NVME slots on the bottom. The processors seem to be the same and you can expand the ram on both. Which are they both future proof? Can the DS 720+ be more future proofed even though it is already 3 years old. Can you give me your opinion, on what you think I should do. I have files, photos and multi media, and I would like to run virtual machines so I can try Ubuntu.
Kind regards
Certainly, both the DS224+ and DS720+ are solid NAS options, but the DS720+ edges ahead with its expansion capabilities, featuring two NVMe slots, making it potentially more future-proof. If you anticipate utilizing these slots, it's a sensible choice. Additionally, considering Synology provides firmware updates for 10 years after a product's release, the DS720+ has a slightly longer lifespan warranty-wise. So, if the expansion slot is a feature you envision using and the budget allows, the DS720+ would be a wise investment for your current needs and potential future requirements.