Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Trying to decide whether to build or buy a new nas

Hi, I’m running a DS220+ with two 16TB ironwolf pro hdds, I have another 16TB, 12 TB and 6TB ironwolf hdds lying around. The main use of my current nas is for Plex and ideally I’d like to get to 6 bays so I can fully utilise my hdds and future proof my storage needs. Am I better off building or buying a new nas? Any of the newer synology nas products use ryzen cpu so would be unsuitable for hw transcoding. A 1621+ could set me back €1,000 and I’d end up buying something else to run Plex on. Wondering what my best options would be?
Certainly! Considering your specific needs for a Plex server with the potential for six bays and transcoding capabilities, there are a few options to explore. The QNAP TS-664 stands out as a media-friendly NAS with either a Celeron or Core i processor, providing a good balance of performance for your requirements. It's crucial to note that transcoding is primarily necessary for remote access; for local usage, it might not be a critical factor.

If you're open to building your own NAS, an Intel Core i5 is a solid recommendation, especially if transcoding is a priority. Building your NAS allows for customization based on your preferences and future expansion needs. While the Synology DS1621+ could meet your criteria, the concern about Ryzen CPUs and transcoding might influence your decision.