Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS - DR/Virtualization

looking for a NAS for DR/Virtualization
CPU (cores) and RAM (ECC preferable but not essential) are critical factors aside from performance of storage and network since we may use device to spin up VMs to validate or run in DR capacity.

looking for something like:
8 core i5 or better (as good as I can get for budget)
32gb RAM (ECC would be nice)
10GbE (dual would be nice)
NVME cache

would also like to have raid 5 or 6
plus at least 2 unused drive bays to hot swap in some drives to expand or for an occasional bulk copy for archiving elsewhere
PCIE or usb-c for add-in devices
If you’re aiming for a powerful NAS setup capable of solid DR and virtualization performance, the QNAP TVS-h874 would be an excellent choice. It hits most of your requirements right out of the box, with powerful specs that should handle VMs, backups, and heavy workloads comfortably.

Here’s why the TVS-h874 stands out:

CPU and RAM: It comes with an Intel Core i5 or i7 (depending on the model), which is more than capable of running multiple VMs and handling DR tasks. Plus, it supports up to 64GB of RAM, with ECC as an option, so you’ll have plenty of memory to allocate to virtual machines.

Networking: It has two 2.5GbE ports by default, but with the PCIe slots available, you can add 10GbE (or even dual 10GbE cards if you need the extra bandwidth) to meet your high-speed network requirements.

NVMe and Storage Flexibility: The TVS-h874 has two M.2 NVMe slots for caching, which will boost performance for any I/O-heavy workloads you’re running. Plus, with 8 drive bays, you’ve got ample storage capacity. You can configure it in RAID 5 or 6 for redundancy, while still leaving room for a couple of spare drives for expansion or quick backups.

Expansion and Future-Proofing: The PCIe slots aren’t just for 10GbE; they can support other upgrades like USB-C for high-speed transfers or additional storage cards. This gives you some flexibility as your needs evolve or if you find yourself adding new workloads in the future.

It’s a bit higher in price than some entry-level models, but within the $1600 budget range, this model hits the mark for enterprise-level features in a NAS. It’s solid for a business environment where reliability and the ability to run multiple, demanding applications are crucial.