Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Portable NAS for Backups

Hey! I really appreciate the option to ask for advice. Our use case is a bit unique, so I'm having a hard time getting input on this.

Our business is creating a new backup solution. One of the big hurdles is that the owners require a full backup of our systems be taken off site daily. This must be on physical hardware. Currently we take an LTO7 tape offsite every day, but backing up directly to tape is becoming too slow to take a full copy every 24 hours.

I'm thinking of changing our backup software from an older version of Backup Exec to Veeam, installing a 1U storage server for backups to head first, and then I'd replicate that storage to a portable NAS device daily and tape weekly/monthly.

Money isn't a consideration currently. Just trying to figure out some options.
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve
Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like you’re tackling an important project with your backup solution, and I’m happy to offer some suggestions.

Here are a few key considerations that could help you optimize your setup:

Connection Bandwidth: Assess the available connection types for each computer or server involved in the backup process:

USB 5 Gbit: This is user-friendly and portable but might not provide the speed you need for large backups.
10 Gbit Ethernet: If your infrastructure supports it, this is a fantastic option for quickly transferring large volumes of data.
Thunderbolt: This high-speed connection is excellent for fast data transfers, especially when using SSDs.
Media Inside the Backup Device: The type of media you choose can significantly impact performance:

SSD in RAID 0: This setup maximizes speed, making it suitable for fast backups and restores. Just keep in mind the risk of data loss if one SSD fails.
HDDs in RAID 1 or RAID 5: These configurations offer redundancy and data protection but might not match the speed of SSDs.
Available Devices for Backup: Evaluate the devices that need backing up and their connectivity options. This will help you determine the best hardware for your needs:

Simple TerraMaster DAS: Ideal if you primarily need speed and don’t require advanced NAS features.
On-Premises NAS: A centralized backup solution can offer advanced features, such as syncing to cloud services (like Synology C2) or remote NAS options.
By considering these factors, you can craft a backup strategy that balances speed, reliability, and efficiency for your business.