Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Readynas Business 6 bay replacement?

Hi,

New to the forum; watched a lot of Nascompares videos,
I’ve had the Readynas 6000 Business Edition since new getting a bit long in the tooth now, contemplating a replacement ;2TB drive limit no SSD, Raidar is on the last version available and OS6 seems unobtainable

The Qnap 973ax looks interesting with both 2.5g and a 10g port, a mix of ssd hd and U2 drives
Also looking at SSD NAS units the Asustor Flashstore and the Qnap 574tx 

Why don’t more units have a display I find the display on the Readynas very useful ? Asustor do on the disk based units
As it lives in my lounge/tv room quietness is important , I put Noctua fans in the Readynas after it failed for that reason

Any modern NAS would be a step up in performance if not build quality

Synology seem solid but lack the hardware at the moment

Appreciate any ideas , feedback
Cliff in Sydney
Welcome to the forum! It's great to hear that you've been following the NAScompares videos. Given that you’ve been using the ReadyNAS 6000 Business Edition for a while, it sounds like you’re ready for a solid upgrade, especially with its limitations in drive size and SSD options.

The QNAP TS-973AX is a fantastic choice, especially with its 2.5Gb and 10Gb ports, which provide great flexibility for faster networking. The combination of SSDs and HDDs is also a smart approach for balancing performance and storage capacity. The U.2 drives can add even more versatility for your storage needs.

Regarding your interest in SSD NAS units like the Asustor Flashstor and QNAP TS-574TX, they both offer excellent performance and are designed for modern workloads. The SSDs will provide fast read/write speeds, which could significantly improve your overall experience, especially if you’re looking at media streaming or heavy file access.

You brought up a great point about displays on NAS units. Many users find them handy for monitoring system health and performance at a glance. It’s true that while some brands prioritize features over displays, the usability aspect shouldn't be overlooked. Asustor does have that feature in their disk-based units, which might be worth considering if that’s important to you.

Given that you also mentioned quietness as a priority since it’s in your lounge, you might want to check user reviews specifically related to noise levels for the models you’re considering. The Noctua fans you installed in your ReadyNAS are a great touch for reducing noise, and it might be beneficial to look for models that also prioritize quiet operation.

While Synology is known for its solid build quality and software ecosystem, they do sometimes lag in certain hardware aspects compared to competitors like QNAP and Asustor. Depending on your specific needs, it could be worth looking at models that might provide a better balance of hardware and software features.
Many thanks for the welcome,
I did manage to track down OS6 today and install it for my Readynas but that still leaves older and slower hardware like ddr2 ram and slower core2 cpu and non upgradable 2x1gbe 

I was thinking yes the Qnap 973ax ticks most of the boxes , U2 drives are expensive and hard to find but there are nvme to u2 adapters

My main uses are storing photography , some astrophotography and also some old Sci-fi movies , backing up my Mac and others, my Apple TV 4K can transcode so gpu probably not necessary

The Flash NAS units are attractive though more expensive to get decent storage amounts

I have a mix of 2tb drives Hitachi and Samsung , seem ok for now also getting old , I guess I need to factor in new drives in the overall cost . I could build something but hard to make a small unit like the commercial units

My Readynas is clicking away setting up raid 5 on OS6 but so slow , I notice that the ZFS that QNAP can use is way faster in initial raid setup. 
I keep reading there are problems with btrfs which others use like Asustor and now my OS6 NETGEAR also?

Will keep researching but the 973ax seems the best bang for the buck and I could install SSD instead of hdd as I don’t need a ton of space

Thanks
Cliff