Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

JellyFin and sharing

Having just uploaded Jellyfin to my Synology NAS and have it working on my TV. I now want to have family members access the NAS through Jellyfin to watch the home movies I have on the NAS. Is this hard to accomplish?
Thank you,
Bob
It's great to hear that you've successfully set up Jellyfin on your Synology NAS! Sharing access with family members to watch your home movies is definitely achievable, and it’s not too complicated.

To allow your family to access your Jellyfin server, you’ll need to follow these steps:

Create User Accounts:

In the Jellyfin web interface, go to Dashboard > Users.
Click on Add User and create accounts for each family member. You can customize their access permissions as needed, like limiting access to certain libraries or media types.
Set Up Remote Access (if needed):

If your family members will be accessing Jellyfin from outside your home network, you’ll need to set up remote access. This typically involves configuring your router to allow external connections to your NAS. You might want to check the Jellyfin documentation for specifics on port forwarding or using a VPN for secure access.
Share the URL:

Once you have user accounts set up and remote access configured (if needed), you can share the Jellyfin URL with your family. It will look something like http://<your-nas-ip>:8096. Make sure they know their username and password to log in.
Access on Devices:

Family members can access Jellyfin through a web browser or use the Jellyfin app available on various devices, including smart TVs, smartphones, and tablets. They just need to enter the URL and their credentials.
User Experience:

They’ll be able to browse the libraries you’ve set up and enjoy the home movies you’ve uploaded.
If you encounter any issues along the way, feel free to ask! Enjoy sharing those home movies with your family!