Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology vs QNAP

Doing due diligence before buying first NAS.
I have about 25gb total personal photos between digital camera files and Google Photos. I really would like to use my NAS mainly for photo and general file storage, with a possibility of media server in the future. I would like it to function as closely to Google as possible but I am having trouble deciding between Synology and QNAP.

Things that are important to me:
- photo indexing / organization
- retaining metadata from Google and easy importing
- ease of use for tech-illiterate
- good mobile app (Android)
- sharing between 2-10 users
- and of course security

It seems that price-wise they are pretty comparable, but the main differences are hardware vs software. Please provide advice, or pros/cons? Thank you.
It’s great to hear that you’re considering investing in your first NAS! Both Synology and QNAP offer excellent options, but they do have some differences that could impact your experience, especially for photo storage and management.

Synology is often praised for its user-friendly software, DiskStation Manager (DSM). It provides fantastic photo management features through Synology Photos, which excels in indexing and organizing your images while retaining metadata from Google Photos during import. The mobile app is intuitive and works well for viewing and sharing your photos on Android devices, making it an excellent choice for users who might not be tech-savvy.

On the other hand, QNAP also has a solid offering with its QTS software. While it’s slightly more complex than Synology’s DSM, it has powerful features that cater to more advanced users. Their Qphoto app is also good for mobile access, though the user interface may not be as straightforward for everyone. QNAP has more hardware options, which can provide you with greater flexibility if you decide to expand your setup in the future.

Here’s a quick breakdown:

Synology
Pros:

Excellent photo management and indexing
Retains metadata during import
User-friendly interface, especially for beginners
Great mobile app for Android
Strong security features
Cons:

Less hardware customization options compared to QNAP
QNAP
Pros:

More hardware choices and expansion options
Powerful software capabilities for advanced users
Good mobile app for managing media
Cons:

Slightly steeper learning curve for less tech-savvy users
Qphoto may not be as intuitive as Synology Photos
Given your focus on photo storage and ease of use, I’d recommend leaning toward Synology for your needs. It seems to align well with your priorities, especially in terms of photo organization, ease of use, and security.

With a budget of $500, you should be able to find a model like the DS220+ or DS223 that would serve you well for storing your 4TB of photos and potentially expanding your media server capabilities in the future.