Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First 'real' NAS?

I've been doing a *lot* of reading and watching, but not certain I've figured it out, thus the request.

I need to migrate away from a WD My Cloud 3Tb, 1 disk device. Not sure if it's gonna die, but *know* it's not an if it dies, but when. Currently ~50% full at the moment. Have offline storage of 4Tb as well.

Considering something like a QNAP TS-264 with 16GB memory, 2TB of M.2 storage and 12 - 16TB HDD storage. Primary use case is cloud storage (move away from Google Cloud, if practical) but have my own cloud capability for personal video, audio & photo storage.

It'd be nice to have it accessible remotely, and realize I may need to improve networking on my side (VPN, etc.) for that to happen as I go deeper into this.

Any alternates that I should strongly consider? Thanks!
It's great to hear that you're diving into the world of NAS! Transitioning from a single-drive WD My Cloud to something more robust is definitely a smart move, especially considering your current usage and future needs.

The QNAP TS-264 with 16GB of memory sounds like a solid choice for your use case. With its ability to handle cloud storage and media files efficiently, you'll have plenty of room for your personal video, audio, and photo collection. The 2TB M.2 storage will also provide fast access to your frequently used files, making it a great addition to the overall setup.

If you're looking for alternatives, I would recommend considering the Synology DS220+ or the DS423+. Both models offer excellent performance, and Synology's software is highly regarded for its ease of use and robust features, especially for personal cloud solutions. The DS423+ offers a bit more scalability if you foresee needing more storage in the future.

Regarding remote access, setting up a VPN is a great idea for secure access to your NAS from outside your home network. Many NAS devices come with built-in VPN support, and there are plenty of tutorials out there to help you get started.

Additionally, since you're looking at a budget of around $1,000, you'll likely have enough flexibility to get a good amount of storage and possibly additional features like caching SSDs or expanding your memory down the line.