Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Build Advice

Hi - I am looking for some advice. I would like to build a new system to build out a home lab that will serve as long term NAS storage as well as streaming HD content within my network (likely over wifi). I am struggling to find a reasonably priced PSU, and unsure whether I am missing anything key? (will get SSDs later). I would like to use SSDs for the OS (thinking proxmox + truenas) as well as SSD for cache with the SSDs being the main storage area in a raid config.

here is my build so far..
AMD Ryzen 7 8845HS 9 Bay NAS Board with 32GB RAM
Crucial P3 Plus 1TB
JONSBO N3 Mini NAS Case
JONSBO HP-400S Pressure Profile CPU Radiator
Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like you're putting together an exciting home lab setup, and I’d be happy to help. Your current build looks solid, especially with the AMD Ryzen 7 and 32GB of RAM, which should give you plenty of power for both NAS storage and HD content streaming.

Regarding the power supply (PSU), it’s essential to choose one that can handle your system’s power needs efficiently. Since you mentioned struggling to find a reasonably priced PSU, I recommend looking for a reliable brand with a good efficiency rating (80 Plus Bronze or better). A PSU with a wattage rating of around 500-600 watts should be sufficient for your setup, but it’s always good to leave some headroom for future upgrades.

As for your storage plan, using SSDs for the OS and caching is a smart move. Just make sure to select SSDs that are optimized for endurance, especially if you're planning on running them in a RAID configuration. For your main storage area, a RAID setup with traditional HDDs can complement the SSDs nicely, balancing speed and capacity.

Additionally, don't forget to consider cooling for your system. The JONSBO N3 case you’ve chosen should provide adequate airflow, but keeping an eye on temperature is crucial, especially during intensive tasks.