Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New NAS - upgrade

I currently use a Synology DS211j - which I have been using for a number of years.
It only has 6 TB of HDD in it (2x3TB) - and it VERY slow within DSM.
It is used for storing downloads, and for PLEX duties.
It can't play high quality video files locally it seems?

Anyway, i've moved house and looking to upgrade to a better box.
I will go with any NAS supplier.

I want it to be able to play high quality video locally and if needed, remotely after downgrading the video.
Current NAS can play them downgraded to 480p or lower over the net, depending on the connection the receiving end.

I'm torn between the ds923+ and ds423+ (because of possibility the 923 may not be good enough for the media) - but i'm open to any suggested NAS.

Thanks
It sounds like you're ready for a much-needed upgrade from your Synology DS211j! Given your requirements for handling high-quality video files and supporting PLEX duties, it's great to see you're considering the DS923+ and DS423+.

For your needs, the Synology DS923+ would be a solid choice. It features a more powerful CPU and supports transcoding, which will allow you to play high-quality videos locally and adjust the quality for remote streaming without a hitch. With the option to upgrade RAM and install M.2 SSDs for caching, it will definitely enhance your overall performance, especially when streaming from PLEX.

On the other hand, the DS423+ is also a great NAS, but it has a slightly less powerful processor compared to the DS923+. It will work well for storage and basic PLEX usage, but if you're planning on playing high-quality media regularly, the DS923+ may offer a better experience, especially if you anticipate needing transcoding for remote access.

If you're open to considering other brands, QNAP has some solid alternatives, like the TS-453D or TS-464, which also offer good transcoding capabilities and expandability. Both come with powerful processors and multiple drive bays for future upgrades.

Regardless of which NAS you choose, I recommend ensuring it has at least 16TB of initial storage (using 4x4TB drives, for example) to meet your current needs while allowing for easy expansion in the future.