Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CWWK Q670 - 4*nvme - Looking for help with BIOS setting

Hello,

Some time ago I received the CWWK Q670 Motherboard, the version that has a 2 SFF-8643 onboard ports instead of the 8-sata ports. I originally ordered that one, but they decided to send me this version instead as the 8-sata port version wasn't available anymore. I decided to give this one a try, so I've been experimenting with it to see what would be a good layout for a combination of HDD and NVME disks.

According to the attached picture, from their product page, it should be possible to change the onboard SFF-8643 PCIe connector from 4 PCI3.0 x 1 signals to 1 PCI3.0 x 4 signal via the BIOS, but so far I haven't figured it out which setting(s) this would be. I checked everything that made sense, but no luck so far. The BIOS version is the one that came with the board, I couldn't find a more recent version on their support page. There's one for the Q670 8-sata version, but attempting to use that one results in the error "The host CPU does not have write access to the target flash area.", which probably indicates it's not a suitable BIOS version.

I've tried to contact CWWK support for 2 weeks now, with no reply yet. Any ideas would be very welcome.

B.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I will not be able to help you.
But maybe give this list try:

Look for PCIe Slot Configuration:

In the BIOS, look under sections like Advanced, Chipset, or Peripherals. There might be an option to configure PCIe slots or ports individually. Look specifically for settings that mention "PCIe Bifurcation" or "PCIe lane allocation," as these control how PCIe lanes are distributed. You’ll want to change this from x1 to x4 if it’s currently splitting the lanes.
Check the SFF-8643 Port Settings:

Since this is a more specialized motherboard, there may be a specific setting for the SFF-8643 ports. Look under the storage or peripheral device settings. It might be listed under something like "SATA Express" or "NVMe Configuration."
BIOS Update:

If you’re stuck on an older version of the BIOS, the settings you need might be locked or unavailable. While you’ve already checked the support page for the 8-SATA version and found it incompatible, it might be worth reaching out in community forums or groups for this motherboard (if any exist) to see if someone has a newer BIOS version available for the SFF-8643 version.
Alternatively, consider looking for updates on unofficial BIOS modding sites, but exercise caution as these could void any warranties or cause other issues.
Modding the BIOS (if you’re feeling adventurous):

If no official BIOS is available, some users go the route of BIOS modding to unlock hidden features like bifurcation. Tools like AMIBCP (American Megatrends BIOS Configuration Program) allow users to tweak certain settings, but this comes with a risk, and I would only recommend this if you have a backup plan.
Fallback Option:

If you're unable to find a solution via BIOS, you could consider using an external PCIe card that supports NVMe or SATA over the SFF-8643 connectors to bypass the motherboard's settings. It’s not ideal, but it’s an alternative.
Consider Platform Limitations:

Finally, double-check if the CPU and chipset combination you’re using even supports the level of bifurcation you need. Some motherboard configurations may not be fully unlocked to adjust PCIe lane allocation dynamically depending on the chipset or CPU installed.
Thank you for the suggestions. I've already thoroughly gone through the various BIOS sections/options multiple times, and I couldn't find anything related to PCIe Bifurcation or lane allocation. I put a i5-14500 in the socket, which does appear to support bifurcation according to Intel's processors datasheet (can't link to it). I would hope the mobo supports it since it's advertised on the CWWK product page Smile Perhaps the best would indeed be to patiently wait for community updates on this mobo to see if anyone has a solution for it. It doesn't look like CWWK will be answering my questions, so I should probably give up on getting any info from them.

I'm not too keen on modding the bios, seems like once it's bricked there's no way to recover.

Quote:you could consider using an external PCIe card that supports NVMe or SATA over the SFF-8643

This is what I'm actually trying to do, well, sort of. I have a PCIe riser card to which the SFF-8643 is connected to, and in the PCIe slot on it I have an extension board with 4NVME ports on it (2 on each side). The problem is that it only detects 1 drive at the moment, which I assume is because the onboard SFF-8643 is set to 4 PCI3.0 x 1 signals. Going with a direct 4xNVME extension board isn't an option as it's too large to fit in the 2u-case I'm building my server in.

The PCIe slot on the board I'm already using for a 10Gbe SFF NIC, so it's not really an option to plug one in there.

Still, thank you very much for trying to help out.

B.