Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP vs Synology

Hey. First of all, love all your youtube videos!!
I am hesitating between the QNAP TS-453E-8G-US and the Synology DiskStation DS923+. Price is about the same on Amazon Canada. My main use would be for photo management (AI sorting, having access on the mobile app too). Also, I would love to store all my documents and open them directly in MS Office for easier modifications if that is possible. I saw your video and the fact the QNAP is locked at 8GB RAM, would that be enough for my use? Later on, I would probablt had a few cameras at my house (nothing extra). I want a good software that won't be slow and with the less noise. What would you suggest? Thanks a lot mate! Smile
Thanks for the kind words about the YouTube videos! I’m happy to help you choose the right NAS for your needs. Comparing the QNAP TS-453E-8G-US and the Synology DS923+, both have strengths, but your specific use case can help determine the best choice.

QNAP TS-453E-8G-US
Pros: The TS-453E-8G comes with 8GB of RAM, which is decent for tasks like photo management and document storage. QNAP's software (QTS) is quite robust and offers good features for photo management, including AI photo tagging and sorting. QNAP's apps for mobile access are also solid, providing access to your photos and documents from anywhere.
Cons: The RAM is not upgradeable beyond 8GB, which might limit future expandability if you decide to add more intensive tasks or more users. Also, QNAP tends to have a more complex interface, which might require a bit more time to get used to.
Noise and Build Quality: QNAP devices are generally well-built, but they can be slightly noisier than Synology models due to their active cooling systems.
Synology DS923+
Pros: The DS923+ is a powerful 4-bay NAS that comes with 4GB of RAM, but it’s expandable up to 32GB, providing plenty of room for future-proofing. Synology's DSM software is known for its user-friendly interface and excellent photo management capabilities through Synology Photos. The AI-powered features for sorting and tagging photos are intuitive, and the mobile app is seamless for access on the go.
Document Management: Synology Drive allows you to store documents and access them directly using MS Office. This setup integrates well with a variety of office applications, making it easy to modify and manage your files.
Surveillance: If you plan to add a few cameras, Synology's Surveillance Station is very reliable and easy to set up. It offers good integration with various IP cameras and provides features like motion detection and mobile alerts.
Noise and Build Quality: Synology NAS devices are generally quieter due to their efficient cooling design. This can be a plus if noise levels are a concern.
Recommendation:
Based on your needs:

Photo Management: Both QNAP and Synology offer good photo management features, but Synology’s Synology Photos app is more refined and easier to use, with better integration for mobile access.
RAM and Future Expandability: The ability to expand the RAM up to 32GB in the DS923+ gives it an edge, especially if you plan to add more features like surveillance or other intensive applications in the future.
Ease of Use: Synology DSM is widely recognized for its user-friendly interface, making it ideal for users who want a straightforward experience without spending too much time learning the system.
Given these factors, I would recommend the Synology DS923+. It offers more flexibility, a better user experience, and easier scalability for future needs, all while maintaining low noise levels. It will handle your current requirements and provide a solid platform for any future expansions you might have in mind.