Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Selection

I currently have a Synology DS412+ that I use as a Plex media server both locally and remotely. I would like a new NAS that I can use as a Plex server, store photos that can be accessed remotely and as an iCloud replacement for storing documents and data. I am happy to wait for newer models if something suitable is on the horizon. I would like a NAS that has good support for MacOS and IOS. Thx
Thanks for reaching out! Since you're looking for a new NAS to handle Plex media server duties, store photos with remote access, and serve as an iCloud replacement for documents and data, I have a few recommendations that should fit your needs and budget.

Recommended NAS Options:
Synology DS923+

Pros: The DS923+ is a powerful 4-bay NAS that supports up to 32GB of RAM, making it a great choice for running Plex, especially if you're streaming both locally and remotely. It’s also well-suited for photo storage and can handle iCloud replacement tasks with ease.
Features: This model has excellent support for macOS and iOS, with built-in apps for photo management (Synology Photos), file syncing (Synology Drive), and backup (Active Backup for Business). These apps provide a seamless experience for Apple users, allowing easy access to your files and media from anywhere.
Future-Proofing: The DS923+ supports expansion units, giving you room to grow if your storage needs increase in the future.
Synology DS1522+

Pros: If you’re looking for a bit more capacity and power, the DS1522+ with 5 bays offers additional storage options. It also supports up to 32GB of RAM and has a similar feature set to the DS923+, making it ideal for Plex, photo storage, and data management.
Versatility: With an extra drive bay, you have more flexibility for expanding storage or setting up RAID configurations for better redundancy and performance. This can be particularly useful if you anticipate needing more space for your growing media library or backups.