Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Should I Upgrade My NAS or Add External Storage?

Hi everyone,
I’m running out of space on my Synology DS220+ and am unsure whether I should upgrade to a larger NAS or simply add external storage via USB. How would adding external storage impact performance, and is it a better long-term solution compared to upgrading?
Thanks for your input!
Running out of space on your Synology DS220+ is a common issue as storage needs grow. Here are some considerations to help you decide whether to upgrade your NAS or add external storage via USB:

Adding External Storage via USB:
Pros:

Cost-Effective: Adding an external USB drive is usually cheaper than buying a new, larger NAS. It can be a quick and easy way to increase storage space.
Quick Setup: It's easy to plug in an external drive, and Synology NAS supports external USB drives for additional storage, backups, or even as a second storage pool.
Cons:

Performance Impact: USB connections are generally slower compared to internal SATA connections, which might affect read/write speeds, especially if you're using the external drive for frequent file access or media streaming.
Management Complexity: Managing files across multiple storage locations (internal and external) can become cumbersome. You’ll need to remember what is stored where, which can complicate backups and file organization.
Redundancy and Reliability: External drives typically lack the RAID redundancy provided by NAS drives. If an external drive fails, you could lose data unless you have a backup in place.
Upgrading to a Larger NAS:
Pros:

Better Performance: Upgrading to a larger NAS with more bays (like a 4-bay model) allows you to add more drives internally, which generally offers better performance and more straightforward management. You can also implement RAID configurations for data redundancy.
Scalability: A larger NAS gives you room to expand your storage as needed by adding more drives. This flexibility can be more convenient and efficient in the long run.
Advanced Features: Newer, larger NAS models often come with more powerful hardware, better software features, and support for more demanding applications (e.g., virtualization, heavier media streaming tasks).
Cons:

Higher Initial Cost: Upgrading to a larger NAS is more expensive upfront than adding external storage. You'll need to invest in the NAS unit and possibly additional drives.
Setup Time: Migrating data and setting up a new NAS takes time and planning, especially if you want to maintain data integrity and minimize downtime.
Long-Term Considerations:
Data Management: A larger NAS provides a centralized location for all your data, making it easier to manage, back up, and secure. It’s a better long-term solution for growing storage needs and offers more features than external drives.
Future-Proofing: Investing in a larger NAS now may prevent you from having to deal with storage limitations again soon, saving time and effort in the future.