Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS , M.2 NVME

My NAS Asustor flashstor 12 lives a low stress life. total file transfers to NAS pr day is normaly less then 10GB. Plex use mabye 5 to 10 hours a week.

I want to rebuild nas from using 5 x 1 TB m.2 nvme drives and start with 3 x 4 TB m.2 nvme.
These drives for NAS are whery expensive in Norway.
But with my "workload" i was thinking of using
Crucial P3 4 TB M.2 PCI Express 3.0 NVMe 3D NAND.

In your opinion and thinking long term is that a whery bad choise ?

Thank you !

Excuse my spelling
Fred.
Crucial P3 4TB M.2 NVMe Drives for NAS:
The Crucial P3 4TB M.2 NVMe drives are indeed a more budget-friendly option compared to high-end NVMe SSDs, and they offer good performance for typical home use. Here’s why they could be a suitable choice for your workload:

Workload Suitability:

Given your relatively low data transfer needs (less than 10GB per day) and moderate Plex usage (5 to 10 hours per week), the Crucial P3 should handle your workload without any issues. These drives offer good read/write speeds for regular file storage and media streaming.
Your usage pattern suggests that heavy sustained write workloads or high IOPS (Input/Output Operations Per Second) aren't a major concern. The Crucial P3, while not the fastest NVMe SSD on the market, provides adequate performance for everyday tasks, file storage, and media streaming.
Cost-Effectiveness:

NVMe SSDs can be expensive, especially at larger capacities like 4TB. The Crucial P3 offers a good balance between price and performance, making it a practical choice for a home NAS environment where cost efficiency is important.
By opting for the Crucial P3, you’re making a smart decision to maximize storage capacity while keeping within your budget range.
Longevity and Reliability:

The Crucial P3, being a consumer-grade SSD, is designed for general use cases and offers decent endurance ratings. While it might not have the endurance ratings of enterprise SSDs, it should still last a long time under your described workload, especially since NVMe SSDs typically have a longer lifespan than traditional HDDs.
As with any SSD, it's important to regularly back up your data, especially in a RAID setup. RAID 5 provides some fault tolerance, but it’s always good to have an external backup for critical data.

https://nascompares.com/answer/best-nvme...r-caching/