Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first nas

Thanks for reading me.

Hello I plan to purchase my first home nas next months and am a bit confused with the requirements for a media server. Here are some infos I want and how ai want to use it.

-I may go for Jellyfin instead of plex.
- For now 2x 20TB max is necessary (I think) but of course having 4 disk slots would be best if I grow my library.
-I have 3Gbs internet connection
-Want to stream locally and create users for family and close friends (stream over internet).
-Some of family members don't have 4k tvs, or older led tvs. So transcoding might be good.
-Movies/series both 1080p and 4k will be present.
-Outisde streaming, I'd like to store personal images/videos, and documents.

Thanks again for your advices!
Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like you're about to have a lot of fun with your first NAS setup, and I'd be happy to help clarify things for you.

Based on what you mentioned, it seems like you have a solid idea of what you need, especially since you're considering Jellyfin over Plex. Jellyfin is a great choice if you're looking for an open-source option that gives you a lot of control. For your storage, starting with 2x 20TB drives is a good move, especially if you're planning to store a lot of media. But I totally agree, having a 4-bay NAS would give you more flexibility down the road if your library grows.

Given your budget and needs, I’d recommend looking at either the Synology DS224+ or the DS423+. The DS224+ is a great starting point; it’s a 2-bay NAS that's powerful enough for most home media setups. But since you’re already thinking about future-proofing with more storage and maybe more users, the DS423+ might be the better option. It has four bays, so you could start with two drives and add more later, which is perfect for expanding your storage without having to replace the whole unit.

With your 3Gbps internet connection, streaming both locally and over the internet should be a breeze. Both the DS224+ and DS423+ can handle multiple streams and even some transcoding if you need it. Since you mentioned some family members don’t have 4K TVs, having a NAS that can transcode video on the fly would make sure they can still enjoy your media without any issues.

And don’t worry about storage for personal files, photos, and videos – both models have excellent apps for managing and sharing files securely. You can set up user accounts for family and friends, so they have their own spaces and access.