Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Drive heat concern: Exos enterprise vs Ironwolf red NAS

I purchased a set of new 5x EXOS 6TB 3.5 enterprise drives from newegg for a great price. I installed in a new Jonsbo N4 build. After just a few minutes three of the five disks heated up to over 60 degrees (64, 63, 61) and the other two were in the mid 50s. This is with ZERO load (on but no throughput). This is seriously hot, and while the user manual states they can run at up to 60 by design I am concerned about this.

I tried a few old 1TB seagate drives, and those ran in the mid 30s and 40s. Much better!

So I went to pick up a few 6TB Seagate ironwolf NAS red drives (I already have two in my PC, so can swap those in) to replace the EXOS drives, coupled with a fancy Noctua NF-A12x25 fan to replace the measly Jonsbo fan that really wasn't putting out much of a draft.

I installed the fan to see how that would work out. Immediately the system is much cooler, and disks run at 35C BUT my system is now LOUD as I made a poor selection of MOBO without PWM fan support (an N5105 - I will tackle that in a separate thread).

So my question is this:

Should I go ahead and do the swap out of the EXOS drives and use the NAS drives instead and lower the fan output somehow? It seems to me that the EXOS drives are really meant to be in an enterprise server room with great cooling and super loud fans. I would imagine the NAS disks would run naturally cooler, and perhaps be more power efficient. I can return the EXOS drives easily.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Drive Heat and Usage Differences: EXOS vs. IronWolf
Seagate EXOS Drives:

Enterprise Design: EXOS drives are designed for data centers and enterprise environments. They are built to handle high workloads, with features that prioritize performance and durability. However, they typically generate more heat and are noisier than NAS drives because they are optimized for environments with robust cooling systems and constant, high-speed airflow.
Heat Generation: The temperatures you're seeing (60-64°C) are high for a home NAS, especially with no load. While EXOS drives can technically operate at these temperatures, prolonged exposure to high heat can shorten their lifespan and reduce reliability. They're meant to be in rack-mounted servers with excellent cooling, which might not be ideal for your Jonsbo N4 setup.
Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives:

NAS Design: IronWolf drives are specifically designed for NAS use in home and small office environments. They run cooler and quieter than EXOS drives, making them better suited for home setups. These drives have features like vibration management and power management, which help them operate efficiently in less harsh conditions.
Lower Heat Output: IronWolf drives tend to run cooler, especially when paired with efficient cooling. The temperatures you mentioned (around 35°C) with the Noctua fan are ideal and well within safe operating limits, even under load. They’re designed to work well with NAS cooling systems and quieter fan setups.
Options Moving Forward
Switch to IronWolf Drives:

Better Suitability: Given your concerns about heat and noise, IronWolf drives are likely a better fit for your setup. They are designed to run cooler and more quietly, which means less reliance on high-output fans.
Longevity and Reliability: Operating at lower temperatures will help ensure the longevity of your drives and reduce the risk of failure. IronWolf drives are also designed to handle NAS workloads, including RAID configurations and continuous operation.
Fan Management and Cooling:

PWM Fan Control: Since your motherboard lacks PWM support, consider using a fan controller that can manage fan speeds based on temperature. This can help reduce noise while still providing adequate cooling.
Fan Configuration: Keep the Noctua NF-A12x25 fan for its excellent airflow and quiet operation. Even at lower speeds, it can provide sufficient cooling for IronWolf drives, ensuring your NAS remains cool and quiet.
Adjusting Fan Speed: If you stick with the Noctua fan, lowering its speed to reduce noise is viable if using cooler-running drives like IronWolf.
Consider Returning the EXOS Drives:

If you can easily return the EXOS drives, it might be a good idea. They are overkill for most home NAS setups and require conditions that are hard to maintain in non-enterprise environments. Sticking with NAS-optimized drives will provide a better balance between performance, noise, and cooling requirements.
(08-23-2024, 10:00 AM)ed Wrote: Drive Heat and Usage Differences: EXOS vs. IronWolf
Seagate EXOS Drives:

Enterprise Design: EXOS drives are designed for data centers and enterprise environments. They are built to handle high workloads, with features that prioritize performance and durability. However, they typically generate more heat and are noisier than NAS drives because they are optimized for environments with robust cooling systems and constant, high-speed airflow.
Heat Generation: The temperatures you're seeing (60-64°C) are high for a home NAS, especially with no load. While EXOS drives can technically operate at these temperatures, prolonged exposure to high heat can shorten their lifespan and reduce reliability. They're meant to be in rack-mounted servers with excellent cooling, which might not be ideal for your Jonsbo N4 setup.
Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives:

NAS Design: IronWolf drives are specifically designed for NAS use in home and small office environments. They run cooler and quieter than EXOS drives, making them better suited for home setups. These drives have features like vibration management and power management, which help them operate efficiently in less harsh conditions.
Lower Heat Output: IronWolf drives tend to run cooler, especially when paired with efficient cooling. The temperatures you mentioned (around 35°C) with the Noctua fan are ideal and well within safe operating limits, even under load. They’re designed to work well with NAS cooling systems and quieter fan setups.
Options Moving Forward
Switch to IronWolf Drives:

Better Suitability: Given your concerns about heat and noise, IronWolf drives are likely a better fit for your setup. They are designed to run cooler and more quietly, which means less reliance on high-output fans.
Longevity and Reliability: Operating at lower temperatures will help ensure the longevity of your drives and reduce the risk of failure. IronWolf drives are also designed to handle NAS workloads, including RAID configurations and continuous operation.
Fan Management and Cooling:

PWM Fan Control: Since your motherboard lacks PWM support, consider using a fan controller that can manage fan speeds based on temperature. This can help reduce noise while still providing adequate cooling.
Fan Configuration: Keep the Noctua NF-A12x25 fan for its excellent airflow and quiet operation. Even at lower speeds, it can provide sufficient cooling for IronWolf drives, ensuring your NAS remains cool and quiet.
Adjusting Fan Speed: If you stick with the Noctua fan, lowering its speed to reduce noise is viable if using cooler-running drives like IronWolf.
Consider Returning the EXOS Drives:

If you can easily return the EXOS drives, it might be a good idea. They are overkill for most home NAS setups and require conditions that are hard to maintain in non-enterprise environments. Sticking with NAS-optimized drives will provide a better balance between performance, noise, and cooling requirements.

@ed thanks so much for the thorough and helpful response! I will look to return the EXOS drives and install the IronWolf instead, coupled with looking for a fan controller.

Much appreciated!