Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First Nas

Hello,

I'm trying to centralize my files from various external drives, flash drives, and other storage locations. Currently we use about 200-250 gb of data total across all drives and Google, mainly personal photos and video over the last 15+ years. I would like to find a solution that allows me to access files from PC and android remotely in a similar feel to Google's products, but would ultimately like to get away from having to rely on Google for most of it. The more I learn about NAS, the more I change my mind about what I need. I have 3 1tb HDDs laying around to begin and can upgrade as needed. I also plan to get a medium-large external (12tb+) for backup. I thought NAS was the best way to go, but not sure if RAID or simple backups would be my best solution. I have been looking into Synology for ease of use, QNAP for hardware expandability, and TerraMaster for price.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Thanks for getting in touch! It sounds like you're ready to take the plunge into the world of NAS, and I think you’re making a smart move by wanting to centralize your data and move away from relying on cloud services like Google.

Given what you’ve shared, I’d recommend going with the Synology DS423+. It’s a great balance of power and user-friendliness, making it perfect for someone who’s new to NAS but wants something that will grow with their needs. Synology’s DSM software is incredibly intuitive, so you’ll find it easy to set up and use, even if you’re just getting started.

The DS423+ will handle all your current data with ease, and you can start off by using your existing 1TB drives. As your storage needs grow, you can easily add larger drives down the road. Plus, with Synology’s mobile apps, accessing your files remotely from your PC and Android devices will feel just as smooth as using Google Drive—without the dependence on third-party cloud services.

If you’re also thinking about future-proofing, the DS423+ gives you plenty of room to expand, whether it’s adding more storage or setting up additional features like photo backups or media streaming.