Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photo and Movie Archive

Hi, I have a 30 TB of movies and photos. Now I am using two external WD hard drives for these media.

My problem is I want to store it on one hard drive but also want to backup (not a zip or other formats, just as original) so if something happen, I can use backup drive. I also have to say that my archive is going bigger every year so I need a solution which will be helpful for future.
Based on your requirements to store 30TB of media, have a reliable backup, and ensure future expandability within a budget of $1200, I recommend considering the following NAS models:

Synology DS423+
QNAP TS-464
QNAP TS-664
These NAS units offer excellent performance, reliability, and flexibility to meet your needs.

NAS Configuration Options
Separate RAIDs with Automated Backup

Each of these NAS models allows you to create two separate RAID arrays within the same unit. You can automate backups to mirror one RAID to another, ensuring your data is always protected. Here's how you can configure it:

Create Two Separate RAID Arrays:

You can set up one RAID array for your primary data storage and another RAID array as a backup within the same NAS. For example, if you have a 4-bay NAS, you can configure two drives in RAID 1 for your primary data and the other two drives in RAID 1 for backup.
Automated Backup:

Both Synology and QNAP offer built-in tools to automate the backup process. You can schedule regular backups to automatically mirror the data from your primary RAID array to the backup RAID array.
Individual Drives in Basic Mode

If you prefer to keep each drive running independently, you can set up the drives in Basic mode. This configuration allows each drive to function on its own without being part of a RAID array. Here's how to set it up:

Set Up Individual Drives:

Configure each drive as a separate volume in Basic mode. This setup allows you to use each drive independently, providing flexibility in managing your data.
Automated Copy Schedule:

You can set up an automated copy schedule to regularly copy data from one drive to another. This ensures your data is backed up without being compressed or archived.
Recommended NAS Models
Synology DS423+:

A powerful 4-bay NAS with excellent software support. It’s ideal for handling large amounts of data and offers robust backup solutions.
QNAP TS-464:

A versatile 4-bay NAS with 2.5GbE connectivity. It supports multiple RAID configurations and offers great expandability options.
QNAP TS-664:

A 6-bay NAS providing additional flexibility and storage capacity. It’s perfect for future-proofing your setup as your media archive grows.
Storage Drives
Seagate IronWolf 8TB NAS HDDs: These drives are reliable and designed for NAS use. Starting with 4 drives of 8TB each in a RAID configuration provides ample space and redundancy.