Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Starter NAS

Hello! I hope this message finds you well. I have been looking at buying my first NAS since last October, and have followed this channel since around the same time to learn as much as I can while I saved up the money for a purchase I will be happy with for the foreseeable future.

I have a good amount of experience working with Linux distros and servers as a part of my career field, but am hesitant to buy something with difficult software because while it will be a great learning experience, I want to avoid being turned-off by NAS systems due to a difficult first-time user experience. I want to begin my NAS journey by hosting some private servers for games like Minecraft, setting up a Plex server for 1-4 people, and storing some photos and videos. Being able to experiment with software like Docker and Kubernetes would be nice as well. A 4-Bay would be ideal.

Thank you for any input you have and for the free reviews and knowledge you've armed me with for jumping into the NAS world. Smile
It’s great to hear that you’ve been following along and are ready to make your first NAS purchase. Considering your experience with Linux and servers, I recommend the Synology DS423+. It’s a 4-bay NAS that balances ease of use with powerful features, making it ideal for both beginners and advanced users.

The DS423+ comes with a quad-core Intel Celeron J4125 processor and 2GB of DDR4 memory (expandable), ensuring smooth performance for hosting private game servers, running a Plex server for 1-4 people, and storing photos and videos. The Synology DSM (DiskStation Manager) software is highly intuitive, providing a user-friendly experience while offering extensive features like Docker and Kubernetes support, which are perfect for experimenting and expanding your skills.