Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS upgrade

I currently have a Synology DS918+ with 4xWDRedPro 16TB drives installed in RAID 5. I do run MariaDB and Plex (no transcoding) natively on the system and having Jellyfin in a Docker. Currently I have around 8.8TB free on the system, I do have a DX517 available with 5xWDRed+ 4TB drives to increase storage as I am always adding more media releases to the system. I am noticing the system is getting slower.

My quandary is what to upgrade to, while I like how DSM works and how simple it makes things but as everyone knows the HW spec is poor, from the current models I am considering either the DS1821+/DS1823xs+ or DS2422+/DS3622xs+ but I am loathed to buy one at the moment. Would I be better moving away to another brand? I don't have anything with more than 1G NIC wise currently but am considering getting a 2.5G switch.
Upgrading your Synology DS918+ can be tricky, especially when juggling your growing media collection and diverse applications like MariaDB, Plex, and Jellyfin. Given your needs and the potential to embrace faster network speeds in the future, it’s worth considering models that balance storage expansion, processing power, and connectivity.

Synology DS1821+: This 8-bay NAS features an AMD Ryzen V1500B CPU, which delivers a solid performance boost over your current DS918+’s Intel Celeron J3455. With 4 GB DDR4 ECC memory (expandable), it’s well-suited for managing heavy workloads like MariaDB and running multiple Docker containers efficiently. The DS1821+ offers PCIe expansion, letting you add a 10GbE network card to future-proof your setup. Plus, it supports your DX517 expansion unit seamlessly.

Synology DS1823xs+: For a significant step up, the DS1823xs+ comes with an AMD Ryzen V1780B CPU and 8 GB DDR4 ECC SODIMM, which is upgradable to handle more intensive tasks. It boasts 2x NVMe slots for caching, which can significantly boost performance for your database and Docker workloads. The built-in dual 10GbE ports make it an excellent choice if you plan to upgrade your network infrastructure soon. This model ensures you're equipped for more demanding applications down the line.

Synology DS2422+: If your priority is maximum storage expansion, the DS2422+ with its 12 bays provides extensive room for growth. Equipped with the same AMD Ryzen V1500B CPU as the DS1821+, it balances processing power and vast storage capabilities. Its 4 GB DDR4 ECC memory is expandable, and it includes a PCIe slot for network upgrades or additional cache.

Synology DS3622xs+: At the top tier, the DS3622xs+ is built for heavy-duty performance and scalability. It’s powered by an Intel Xeon D-1531 CPU and starts with 16 GB DDR4 ECC SODIMM, providing exceptional processing power and multitasking capabilities. With 12 bays, dual 10GbE ports, and expandable memory, this model is perfect if you're aiming for top-tier performance and future-proofing your setup. It’s ideal for handling high-demand applications and large-scale storage needs.

To find the perfect NAS for your needs, explore our NAS finder tool here: https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/.