Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice for my small home business.

I live in the Caribbean and I run a small digital marketing/media agency where we do our own media work/editing.

I am interested in buying a NAS but I'm not sure if I should take that route, so I'll list my ideal workflow as well as limitations below and you can suggest the best options for my business:

Requests
- A storage system that offers redundancy
- To be able to edit videos directly from the storage
- Allow multiple persons to access the storage at the same time

Limitations
- Price: Because of where I live, things get expensive fast. With currency conversions, shipping costs & customs duty, it's easy to pay well over 3 times the initial price.
- Internet: Again due to location, my internet speed isn't always the best. At best right now I can receive 320mbps from my ISP. Can I use a NAS without it being limited by the internet speed my ISP provides (maybe through a LAN of some sort)?
Thanks
Based on your requirements and limitations, the DS923+ with an AMD CPU and 10GbE upgrade slot would be a good option for you. With this setup, you should be able to edit videos directly from the storage and allow multiple persons to access the storage at the same time. The NVMe storage pools can provide fast read/write speeds, which can be beneficial for video editing.

In terms of price, you may want to look into purchasing the NAS from a local reseller to avoid high shipping costs and customs duties. Additionally, you may want to consider purchasing the NAS without hard drives and installing them yourself to save money.

As for internet speed, a NAS can be accessed locally through a LAN (local area network) connection, so your internet speed won't limit the performance of the NAS in this case. However, if you need to access the NAS remotely over the internet, your internet speed could potentially be a limiting factor in terms of transfer speeds.