Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology EOL models and when they stop producing them

Hey there,
I'm curious to know if Synology would continue to produce something like the DS220+ after the DS223+.

There is evidently a market for the difference. DS223+ is a downgrade for video and transcoding. 

I am looking to get the 2-Bay for storing and sharing photos and videos taken with a Go pro for the most part.  So I'm not sure if there is an advantage to go with the newer model or not.  And at the moment the DS220+ is going up in price.
Yes, new 23+ series do not have a graphics chip. This means no 4k transcoding remotely. Only local use. This includes CCTV and Photos video phone backups.
Software updates are released for 10 years after release. DS220/ 720+ will not be updated after 2030.
So if I understand correctly, for my situation:
Watching Video (GoPro or otherwise) the 223+ On my TV should be fine as this is "Local" correct? (connected to the same router)

Sharing/Viewing Photos. With Synology DS file or DS photo on iPhone (or someones Apple TV), the 223+ will NOT be ok over LTE? In this case the 220+ would be better??

I'm just trying to decide which makes more sense and IF the 220+'s will even be available when the 223+ hit the market. If Viewing Photos outside of my home is going to require the 220+ then my choice is simple. 

I've already purchased 2 WD Red Plus 8TB drives. and am ready to pull the trigger.

Thank you for your help.
You can access photos from any of these NAS over LTE. Any videos among those photos you taken with phone will not work over LTE unless you get DS220+ or other Celeron NAS.
Local use (LAN, same home network WIFI) will work with any NAS.

I hope this helps.