Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to NAS

Hi, 
Looking for some advice. I currently stream all of my media around my home from my cMP 5,1 where it is stored onto my screens, each of which has an AppleTV device. To be fair this would suffice for most things. However my family would also like to make use of my library, problem is they live at different addresses. The answer would seem to be using something like Jellyfin. I don't want to allow access to my MacPro however, so a server of some kind seems to be the answer. I would rather build than buy, so it's more fun. but the issue I have is the OS. 
I'm only really familiar with MacOS, although I have tried Linux on an old MBP, however I am not too far into that. 
What would your recommendations be regarding an OS that is both straight forward enough for an ageing beginner as well as inexpensive (Free!)? Can CasaOS run on a homebuilt server? Would it do what I need it to? Or would it be better to learn TruNas or maybe pay for UnRaid. 
I'm not certain that the lack of RAID is an issue (althoughI believe that is on the way with CasaOS), as all of the media files will also be on the MacPro, but obviously it would be useful going forward.
Incidentally, have you reviewed at any point the InWin MS-04, as it seems to be a smart little 4bay with included PSU.

Hope this isn't too long and convoluted.

Thanks

Paul

PS I've also had issues connecting my new router....

Messages In This Thread
New to NAS - by Sumosys - 10-27-2023, 09:59 AM
RE: New to NAS - by ed - 10-27-2023, 10:52 AM
RE: New to NAS - by Sumosys - 10-27-2023, 11:47 AM
RE: New to NAS - by ed - 10-27-2023, 02:24 PM
RE: New to NAS - by Sumosys - 10-28-2023, 01:11 PM