Poll: What to choose
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DS423+
0%
0 0%
DS923+
0%
0 0%
Other, I will expain it
100.00%
1 100.00%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS423+ or 923+

Video 
Dear NASMasters,

I am about to buy a new NAS replacing my old DS213j. The old one was never a powerhouse, with 2x3TB WD RED it lasted for almost 10 years. And I hated it because it was so slow, furthermore in the last few years it always freezed when a big package was downloaded via DownloadCenter. Sometimes it restarts itself... don't say a word...

I decided to upgrade. I use it as photo storering place, a download (seed) server, and a video and music center for my library. I never used any other media center software, once I tried Plex, but it never was configured well. 

My tool for playing music and video are up-to-date, so I don't have to convert usually my files. As a fileserver I connect to my NAS with my TV, and the TV (or my Dune player) plays HDR or Dolby Vision movies on its own, my HiFi plays what I need. 

I am also thinking on adding some IP cameras to my home, so that is why I thought I have to go 4-bay solutions. As I read many articles and saw many videos, I think DS423+ is my choice. But as I never used Plex or never needed to convert videos to stream, I become uncertain about DS923+. I just need a file to be pushed to the network, my other devices will do the rest, if a new video format comes in, it is easier to buy a new player. DS923+  gives more adventages in network and file-handling side (more futureproof) than DS423+ with a 4-year old processor, but video abilities. 

Anyway my idea is to put my old 3TB drives to a new system, and when it is ready add a new drive to the pack, and I will have the possibility to later add/replace some more HDDs. 

So what I need a NAS for? Downloading and storing films, music, sharing them on my network, for photo storage and maybe for ipcameras. 

But the question is which DS to choose for my usage. 

Thanks in advance.

Messages In This Thread
DS423+ or 923+ - by koszanova - 09-26-2023, 12:35 PM
RE: DS423+ or 923+ - by 250Turbo - 09-29-2023, 12:32 PM
RE: DS423+ or 923+ - by koszanova - 10-03-2023, 08:12 AM
RE: DS423+ or 923+ - by ed - 09-29-2023, 01:30 PM