Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Frustrations after new purchase - Asustor

Hello,
I just posted below to your channel ... 
I am considering returning this device.  Should I be looking at Synology or QNAP?  I am willing to increase the budget to get simplicity and reliability.  Thanks much in advance.

NASCompares ... really appreciate the videos and the honest open-source information. I was looking to migrate from older Western Digital NAS devices for better security and improved network speed. My use case is accessing files for personal and work from home productivity using multiple devices. I ended up going with an Asustor AS6704T and WHAT A NIGHTMARE. The attractions were the dual 2.5G ethernet ports and the SSD caching. Neither really works reliably, although in fairness a network bottleneck, despite completed network upgrades, could be purely network related and not in the NAS. The GUI is unclear and gives contradictory information in different locations. Even the physical build quality is lacking. A rear screw on the case stripped, after one removal and one reinstall, while opening it to install the nvme SSD's. ( Why is there not simply a door ? ) Since my new hard drives were inside, I had to get inventive and ultimately aggressive to get it open ... not nice in a new device. I avoided Synology due to its inflexibility regarding drive brands ... and am now wondering if that was a bad idea. I am still troubleshooting and making adjustments, I will update here if things improve in case anyone is looking at this. One specific: If you have an ASUSTOR ... note the table in the online manual relating to nvme SSD capacity, and the RAM required. It allowed me to install more SSD capacity than the RAM would allow and it seems this has caused problems.
Show less

Messages In This Thread
Frustrations after new purchase - Asustor - by jimmysc95667 - 09-04-2023, 08:45 PM