Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS server?

Hello!

I hope everything's going well in your neck of the woods.

I'm trying to figure out a solution for a local network-accessible server to store our video files on and edit from.

We generate around 100GB of source footage per week, and need to store it locally and edit off of the server. This isn't super-high bitrate (around 10Mbit) but I'd like 2 editors to be able to work off the server at the same time.

We need some fail protection, but this data will be backed up offsite once a week.

We have a local 10Gbit network wiring in place, but haven't yet purchased a 10Gbit switch + 10Gbit pci cards for the machines. They're currently running 2.5Gbit.

We have a 25U rack that has around 20U of capacity.

I was torn between a synology solution (something like the rs3618xs) and rolling our own.

For our own here's the parts list I figured out:
- Arista 7050T-64 (48 port 10Gbit switch w/ some 40Gbps connections available)
- Gen 8 server to run unraid / freenas (don't know what components to use, guessed a dual 8core and 128GB ram and host bus adapter that can pump 40Gbps)
- Netapp DS4246 24 bay HDD encolsure w/ psu and network

But I'm not an IT guy, and I'm not sure what to throw in the server, how to set it up, etc.

For the synology we'd do the rs3618 (I think) and add the 10Gbit pci card, but I'm not sure if we can install the nvme caching layer to keep everything speedy.

Unsure what drives to put in, but we were looking at WD red pro 12TB.

Additionally, if we did the build-our-own approach I don't think we want to buy 24 drives at once, so I was hoping we could buy 4 or 6 at a time and slowly add clusters to the entire system. With a 12-bay system we'd just buy all the drives at once.

Thanks for providing this service!

Messages In This Thread
NAS server? - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM
NAS server? - by admin - 02-11-2021, 03:29 PM