Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP TVS-h874: Choosing a Processor ... Advice?

The channel video on this NAS, which I can't link to, is great, and I'm really intrigued by this NAS, but I'm not sure how to figure out which processor I should be looking at between the i5/i7/i9. (I can't imagine actually needing an i9 without already knowing that I need it, so I'm not seriously considering that for myself, even though I do wonder when it's necessary.)

I can't really look at my existing workload, as the only NAS I've ever owned at this point is a 2-bay TS-253D. So, with the caveats that
  1. I intend to install a 2x10GbE SFP+ card at least;
  2. I want to run ZFS so I can use replication;
  3. I may end up ditching QuTS Hero and installing Proxmox (and then TrueNAS in a VM). In fact, I'm 85 percent certain that will happen at some point. 
  4. Likewise, there's a good chance I might add a GPU at some point if I decide I want to try to set up a cloud gaming server.

But on the other hand, I live alone and work from home, so in terms of actual human users I'm looking at basically just me, with my parents' laptops visiting occassionally and maybe gettinb backed up.  If Proxmox is installed, I mean to leverage the CPU for running at least some VMs and CTs. I think even an i5 at 12th gen would be wasted just being a file server/backing PVE cluster storage for one human.

So, the question is probably best phrased as: What would I need to be doing to regret not buying an i7? The last time I bought an Intel CPU was ~2018, and at that point I went with an i7 because the i5s tended to be compromised somehow--I recall they didn't always include hyperthreading. The 12th gen CPUs have P and E cores, and I really have no experience contextualizing that.

OTOH, it looks like that i5 is all P cores and hyperthreaded (6 core/12 thread), so at least that's easy for my out of date tech brain to understand. Smile

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
QNAP TVS-h874: Choosing a Processor ... Advice? - by SinisterPisces - 05-27-2023, 10:55 PM