Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS1522+ RAM HDD Qs

Hi,

Long time listener, first time caller Smile

Just hoping to get some advice on the following before I buy my first proper NAS.  I’ve listened and watched a fair amount of content on here, but still not 100% on a couple of bits:

I’m leaning towards getting DS1522+, hopefully for file storage, access from anywhere (likely VPN, but not ruling out direct), would be interested in hosting some VMs, and perhaps playing with surveillance at some point.  I’m probably looking at current requirement of 8tb data to be stored.

1) Are m.2 nvme or SSDs required for hosting decent VMs at a reasonable speed?  If so, what would folks usually recommend here?  Appreciate DS1522+ doesn’t support m2 nvme storage, but is it still possible and worth trying the unofficial route via CLI?  If there’s enough risk with the unofficial storage route, would this make a case for going DS923+ and just one less bay?

2) Same question for RAM and VMs.  Would 1x 16GB extra (24 total) be enough, or recommended to just ditch the RAM that comes with the unit and get 2x16GB?

3) HDDs - Leaning towards getting 3x 8tb.  I’m seeing Ironwolf 8tb and Ironwolf Pro 8tb at roughly the same price?  The non-pros look to be the only ones officially supported by Synology, plus the Pro looks to consume more power and slightly noisier.  Are these good reasons enough to stick with the non-pro, or for the price would it be a no-brainier to get the pros?

4) Any advice on the number of bays/drives to begin with?  4x 6tb HDD and have the cheaper/quieter drives, or go 8tb HDD and have 2 spare for expansion/potential surveillance drive?

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
DS1522+ RAM HDD Qs - by MrCisco - 03-13-2023, 10:35 AM
RE: DS1522+ RAM HDD Qs - by ed - 03-16-2023, 04:47 PM
RE: DS1522+ RAM HDD Qs - by MrCisco - 03-16-2023, 09:52 PM
RE: DS1522+ RAM HDD Qs - by ed - 03-17-2023, 01:55 PM