Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS recommendations

For your storage needs, it sounds like a NAS would be a great solution. The Terramaster F4-423 is a good option for a 4-bay NAS, especially if you need a lot of storage and want to run multiple applications such as Plex or other media server software.

To store your Apple Music on the NAS, you can use the iTunes Server feature built into the Terramaster NAS. This will allow you to store your music library on the NAS and access it from any device on your network.

As for your movie collection, the amount of storage required will depend on the size and quality of the movies. A 1080p movie typically takes up between 5-10 GB, while a 4K movie can take up 50 GB or more. If you have 700 movies, you can estimate that you will need at least 3.5-35 TB of storage. However, it's always a good idea to factor in additional storage for future downloads and expansion.

In terms of a GPU, most NAS devices do not have the ability to add a dedicated GPU. However, some NAS models do have built-in hardware acceleration for transcoding, which can help with streaming media. The Terramaster F4-423 has hardware acceleration capabilities, so you may not need a dedicated GPU.

Overall, the Terramaster F4-423 is a good option for your needs. Just make sure to choose the appropriate amount of storage and consider using RAID to protect your data in case of a drive failure.

As I first NAS I would rather recommend Synology. It is safer and easier to use. DS420+ has graphics built in and can handle up tp 4k locally. Streaming 4k via plex remotely would require i5 based NAS.

I hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread
NAS recommendations - by ENQUIRIES - 02-24-2023, 02:00 AM
RE: NAS recommendations - by ed - 02-24-2023, 04:29 PM
RE: NAS recommendations - by TJSage - 02-24-2023, 07:13 PM
RE: NAS recommendations - by ed - 03-03-2023, 12:24 PM