Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

WebDAV

Heart 
First of all, thank you Rob... for being a real good and genuine bloke, wanting to help people.
Ideally Id rather talk to you instead of writing everything but I will try to cram everything in this post.
The project Im working on is pretty much geared towards helping people as well and I really could use some help reaching my goals.
I have done "a ton" of research but Im really stuck right now. The more I learn the more questions I tend to have so I have decided to stop learning about these things as Im really not computer "savy". 
As a research student, I need to have my own WebDAV folder so that I am able to sync my files via Windows, android phone and mainly Ipad directly to my own WebDAV server acting as my own "cloud" stored in my own home instead of a lets say dropbox, icloud ect which is out of my hands.
The closest I came was being able to set it up via Windows IIS + Publishing + Using SSL certificate to ensure I can be on the HTTPS version ect
BUT
that seems to be VERY weak in terms of security according to alot of posts it is easy to get into as long as the IP is known via commands on a Linux forexample. Besides, that would mean my WebDAV folder is ON my computer which makes it a bad idea for backups.
Thats when I came to the NAS world. Soon finding out about the the security weaknesses of QNAP so my focus quickly got shifted towards Synology and Asustor... Mainly looking at the 923+/1522+ or the Lockerstor 4 Gen2 (before hearing your suggestions of course), not that I need 4-5 bays but my "ton of research" shows its just a bad idea buying a 2-bay NAS for many reasons including RAID options. Later it seemed Asustor is struggling with WebDAV as some users report connection errors ect... I personally dont like the "proprietary apple-like" approach Synology seems to have so I wanted to like the Asustor. Now bear in mind Im not completely clear on what WebDAV even is besides its generic definition of being part of the HTTP protocol. Some of my million questions are:
1. What NAS solution has the best WebDAV implementation?
2a. Why does Synology when writing about WebDAV say we must use additional programs like Cyberduck + spesify DNS server?
2b. Why cant WebDAV just be an address like https://YOURIP:YOURPORT/Webdavfolder ? why does it need a domain as in a DNS server?
the DNS server is its domain, right? Or am I confused about that?
3. What RAID would you use for a single user? Im between RAID 10 and 6... RAID 10 seem to not be upgradable which is the only reason Im unsure about it. IF there existed NAS solutions with SAS controller also included, I would use RAID 1 then have 2 disks one being a good Toshiba SAS and then another being a good SATA from another brand, decreasing the chance of 2 disk failures at the same time. What is the next best option to this?
Even if I bought 3-4 disk of the same type.. I would make sure each come from a different batch. Which my research shows important. You have been a large part of my research btw Smile
4. Is NAS the only "non-windows" way of getting WebDAV ?
5. It seems a VPN can increase the security of a NAS/WebDAV in general... why and in what way does a VPN do that if the connection is encrypted via HTTPS to begin with? From my weak understanding, can it be relevant in the port forwarding process? As in the router port forwards ONLY to 1 STATIC IP of the VPN... so whether on the phone, windows or IPAD... as long as they are all accessing the NAS/WebDAV via that spesific IP, it works while blocking all other IP addresses? Am I completely wrong in my thought process? Please correct me. 
6. What NAS "features" play less of a role if there is going to be 1 or at least less than 3 users EVER, connected to it. Ive been thinking that it would be such a waste NOT upgrading RAM lets say on ANY NAS or add like a NVME cache to it... 
7. Last question (for now), can a NAS be divided into sections? Lets say there is 8 TB of available storage... 4TB is used for the WebDAV folder (having its own password).... 4TB is used for backup of lets say computer/phone (having its own password, which I assume would be root access to the NAS).

I really have a million questions but I have to stop here in respect for you. I also did all that research to try not to waste your time before posting.
Thanks a million Rob !!

PS: I subscribe/support/follow you online.

Messages In This Thread
WebDAV - by ResearchStud - 02-11-2023, 11:48 PM
RE: WebDAV - by ed - 02-13-2023, 11:14 AM
RE: WebDAV - by ResearchStud - 02-13-2023, 11:04 PM
RE: WebDAV - by ed - 02-15-2023, 09:55 AM
RE: WebDAV - by ResearchStud - 02-21-2023, 07:09 PM
RE: WebDAV - by ed - 02-21-2023, 09:56 PM
RE: WebDAV - by ResearchStud - 02-21-2023, 10:43 PM