Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

true answer for me DS923+ vs TS-464

(11-29-2022, 11:02 AM)ed Wrote: Yes, people often think they need a graphics chip in order to access your multimedia. But most of the time people stream videos local on their TV or other WiFi connected device. You can use any NAS for this purpose. No transcoding is needed.
When you share access with your movies to your family, you will very likely need transcoding. But if you stick with particular NAS brand 1st party apps, you will be OK with any models that has graphics chip built in (most often Celeron CPU).
Qnap 64 series is really enough for home use and even small business environments. It has everything you may ever need.
Just like any other NAS, you need to secure it. Here is how https://nascompares.com/2022/10/21/qnap-...-your-nas/
t is all down to user accounts you create on your NAS.
Have an Admin account with very strong password (2-step if possible/ or SSH key). You never use this account, unless you need to configure OS etc.
You create limited user accounts for every person and app you install. This way, when account is hacked, hackers can not damage anything apart from that one folder user has access to.

I hope this helps.

thanks again.. can you please  answer my questions at the bottom:

can i make the NAS:
  1. exclussive to my LAN ?
  2. exclussive to specific devices within my LAN? [b]?[/b]
  3. exclussive to my LAN except some web-server (VM/docker)? [b]?[/b]

and If any is possible, can I count on that not being exposed to the internet?? [b]?[b]?[/b][/b]

Messages In This Thread
RE: true answer for me - by ed - 11-24-2022, 01:12 PM
RE: true answer for me - by kfad - 11-26-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: true answer for me DS923+ vs TS-464 - by ed - 11-29-2022, 11:02 AM
RE: true answer for me DS923+ vs TS-464 - by kfad - 11-29-2022, 01:53 PM