Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

tvs-h874-i5-32g

Yes, this is one of Qnap best performing NAS models.
People of then ask if should they use SSD for cache or storage. With iSCSI I would rather create a storage pool on SSDs. But you could also allocate one or two 3.5inch bays for SATA SSD. This would be fast enough too.
NVMe caching in real terms is only useful if you have a business environment with many people uploading random files or downloading commonly used files.
Caching is used when you need more storage space than you can afford to host on SSD media.
I would create NVMe storage pool and install OS and apps on this volume. Then also create a separate volume on these NVme for Iscsi access.
If you plan on connecting ONLY via iSCSI and not map anything, then probably it makes sense to enable caching.

RAID5 is safe enough in my opinion. With hot spare, this will ensure automated replacement when the time comes. Otherwise, you can enable RAID6 and avoid rushed rebuilding in the future.

You do not need 10gbe router, you can connect directly. The 1GbE LAN will connect to gain the internet.

About the file access. Each user can have their data protected with no access to other people's data.

I hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread
tvs-h874-i5-32g - by ENQUIRIES - 11-04-2022, 03:00 PM
RE: tvs-h874-i5-32g - by ed - 11-07-2022, 03:50 PM