Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best choice for home use NAS

Hi,

I was doing some research on buying a NAS for my home use. This is my first NAS purchase and I'm pretty new to the world of NAS. As of now, I am thinking of using it for storing my media (and host it via Plex), a couple of docker containers with my own services, home-assitant and probably pi-hole and my plan is to buy a four bay system and add four 8TB drives to start with. My media library does have a lot of 4K HEVC content, so the new AMD based Synology NAS don't seem to be the best option. I had finally shortlisted Synology DS920+ and QNAP TS-464. I need your help in choosing one of these two. I am a software developer, so I am okay with having not so friendly UI to interact with the system and keep my system up to date. I have listed my thoughts regarding both below.

Synology DS 920+:
Advantages:
- Tried and tested solution, been in the market long enough to know it is reliable
- DSM looks pretty user friendly
- Good discounts available these days

Disadvantages:
- 1gbe connectivity seems slow
- Future proofing maybe an issue because it is an old model

QNAP TS-464:
Advantages:
- Connectivity looks amazing
- Better processor

Disadvantages:
- Availability (it is not listed in amazon.in yet)
- Security issues (Although I can try to keep my system up to date, the number of times QNAP gets attacked is worrisome)

Regarding the security of QNAP systems, would it help if I use cloudflare tunnels to expose my Plex and other services outside my network? I feel that the connectivity of DS920+ is really bad. I don't want to spend more on costly managed switches and use link aggregation, but I like everything else about it.

What is your suggestion for my usecase?

Messages In This Thread
Best choice for home use NAS - by ENQUIRIES - 11-02-2022, 10:30 AM
RE: Best choice for home use NAS - by Bruzer - 11-04-2022, 07:07 PM
RE: Best choice for home use NAS - by ed - 11-07-2022, 01:44 PM