Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

If the nas hardware dies - can you still read the hard drives/ recover the data

Hello

I am looking for some advice on Nas's and your channel has been a great help.
But i want to ask a question that I don't seem to have a answer to.

While i know having a nas and mirroring the data across two drives or using
hybrid raid where you can lose a drive and recover the data is not a back per say.
But allows for you to be able to carry on and not lose data.
BTW by hybrid i am thinking of the raids that let you mix drives of different sizes.

What is the situation if its not the hard drive that dies but the hardware of a NAS that dies
Be it synology , qnap or terramaster. How do you get data back? Is data just lost?
Can drives be put in a normal computer or a usb hard drive dock and data be read normally.
Or if its in a raid or just straight mirror its written in such a way it can not.

I was thinking of getting a TERRAMASTER F4-423 because that was what you used with unraid.
If you have suggestions on other terramaster models for unraid please advise id love to see
other models that could do the unraid install.
As my understanding of unraid was the data is written in such a way a drive can be taken out
and just read on a normal computer. Would this be the case in a nas setup or is it just
if you built a PC and setup unraid.

Sorry if i have talked to much and asked to many questions. Any and all help you can provide would be great.
Regards
Chris from Australia

BTW NAS's down here cost way too much Smile

Messages In This Thread
If the nas hardware dies - can you still read the hard drives/ recover the data - by ENQUIRIES - 10-21-2022, 02:00 PM