Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I need NAS device recommendations for tight-ish budget. Synology preferred for software/security.

Looking to have ‘cloud’ storage alternative.

Primarily for home videos and other files that are too large to store easily on sub-1TB sized laptop SSDs. Would like the ability to stream 1080p video in some capacity for maybe 1-2 concurrent users. Probably only 4-6 users total.

Also looking to back up 2 MacBooks (each 512gb) with full image backups (offsite only would be nice). Time Machine preferred but not necessarily mandatory I guess. Not sure how that would work remotely.

I’d like to have one offsite backup and local backups for each as they will be 10+ hours of driving away from each other. Might shy away from a RAID configuration at least for now since continuous operation seems unnecessary in our use case. The plan was snapshot backups (every few hours) locally and (daily) remotely for the main. Only (daily) local for the main’s offsite backup.

Budget is ideally around $700* ish (*including 4 years of ~$19 annual energy) so that it would break even in 4 years when compared to getting the following instead: Family Microsoft 365 (1TB per user. up to 6 users) $100 annually + IDrive (for computer image backups) 5TB for $80 annually.

I already have drives that should have life left in them, but they are mismatched. (1) 2TB + (1) 3TB WD red drives, also (1)2TB + (1)3TB 2.5 inch drives for snapshots. Previously used for WD MyCloud devices that are no longer supported. I have the ability to handle data migration and formatting of said drives. I anticipate minimal issues there.

The plan was to buy 2 Synology’s and use the 2TB and 3TB drives in a ‘just a bunch of disks’ configuration in the main server (at least for the next 4 years or so) with their respective snapshot drives attached, and purchase 2 new larger capacity drives (8-10TB each) for the offsite back-up in anticipation of future storage configurations/upgrades and the expectation of minimal wear on said new drives since they would only be accessed once daily. Also no RAID for offsite of course. Using second drive for snapshots instead.

Saw the DS220J on sale, but hesitant to bite due to low performance (if used for main) and lack of snapshot restoration or snapshot support?? (If used for off-site). Might go ahead and grab 2 10TB WD Red drives while their on sale for $160 each.

Considering waiting for the 2023 units or just grabbing a DS220+ as the main and something less expensive for the offsite. Unsure of what would make a good offsite server at this point with this configuration. Please advise. Thank you.

Also, can snapshots be written to an internal drive on multi bay Synology’s? I assume yes, but it would be a bummer to get a 2 bay for the offsite and find out otherwise.

Messages In This Thread
I need NAS device recommendations for tight-ish budget. Synology preferred for software/security. - by ENQUIRIES - 10-12-2022, 07:30 PM